Hello, everyone. By now, campus should have received the chancellor’s message “Racism Is Not Welcome on Our Campus.”

That message is online at: https://chancellor.utk.edu/2018/02/07/racism-is-not-welcome/

Please encourage your peeps to attend the special events on campus in the coming week, especially for Friday’s United at the Rock event. This is an opportunity to show our community that Volunteers will show up and stand against racism on our campus.

The Media Relations group has put together an FAQ for the Feb. 17 event that you can use when answering questions from your units. Our social media accounts will begin sharing information about the free speech site and the event-specific information.

Important to note: The university is preparing for the event to take place; however, the specifics of the time, date, and place are subject to change as talks with the organizers and law enforcement agencies move forward.

This page will be continually updated as we get new information on the event:
https://freespeech.utk.edu/2018/02/06/information-regarding-february-17-event/

Free speech basics covered here. Please review these carefully. There is a lot that is commonly misunderstood about the legal definitions of protected speech. Even if you think you already understand free speech, please read this section thoroughly. We as a communications community need to be consistent in what we’re telling people:
https://freespeech.utk.edu/frequently-asked-questions/

We’d like to hear back from you as you get questions that aren’t covered in this information or when there is an event planned on this topic. Please reach out to me, Ryan Robinson, and your liaisons on our team at any time with concerns and feedback.

Karen Dunlap

Media and Internal Relations

Office of Communications and Marketing

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville