All,
Registration is now open for our TN Library Legislative Day! You will find
the registration form and a schedule of the day's event's on the TLA
website here <http://www.tnla.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=1048462>.

* LEG DAY DETAILS*

   - Kathi Kromer, Associate Executive Director of ALA's Washington office
   is our Keynote Speaker. You can read about her accomplishments and advocacy
   work here
   <http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/06/kathi-kromer-new-head-ala-washington-office>
   and here
   <http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2017/06/legislation/qa-with-kathi-kromer-ala-washington-office-associate-executive-director/#_>.
   (She's super-impressive— I can't wait to meet her and hear her speak from
   her experience.)

   - Leg Day will be held in Nashville Public Library's Bridgestone
   Conference Center, located in the Main Library at 615 Church Street;
   Nashville, TN. The Library's Parking garage may be under construction at
   this time, so I have attached a map of downtown Nashville and the many
   areas to park. (the grey spaces are parking areas—and many are around NPL)

   - There is a *DISCOUNT* this year for TLA, TASL, and FOTL members. TLA
   members will receive the discount by first logging into the TLA website,
   then registering. TASL and FOTL members will need to use the PROMO CODE:
   *TLLD*

   - The registration fee includes lunch and tote bags for you to hand
   deliver to your legislator.

* - Please contact your state representatives NOW to set up a meeting time
on March 14th. If you don't know who your state representative and state
senator are, you can find them and their contact information here
<http://www.capitol.tn.gov/>. (just click on, "find my legislator.")*
*MAKE IT COUNT*

   - Bring* handouts and brochures from your library *to give to your
   legislators. This helps personalize the visit and gives them much needed
   information about the libraries in their own district.

   - Each tote bag will include an invitation to a library tour. You will
   need to write your name, the library's name, and your contact information
   on the invitation *before giving it to the legislator.*

   - Take selfies with your legislators, upload them, and tag them in the
   photos. Yes. I'm serious about this. Politicians love this kind of
   publicity, PLUS all of your library's social media followers can see you at
   work advocating for their interests!

   - Invite your Friends Group members, Board Members, and Trustees to
   attend.

   - KNOW THE BILL NUMBERS if you're advocating for specific legislation.
   (the bill number is different for the house and senate—HB if it's in the
   house and SB if it's in the senate. You'll need to know them both. If you
   have any questions about this, please email me.)

Please FWD this email and the attached poster to any and all library
advocates in your life. Now is the moment to develop mutually beneficial
relationships with our representatives.

Please don't hesitate to email me with any questions.
(now, go register to attend!)

Sharon Kay Edwards, MSLS

Legislative Monitor, Tennessee Library Association

(931) 619-7863