Greetings communicators, and welcome to 2018! With a new year comes a new way to promote your unit’s events.

We have just launched https://calendar.utk.edu, a public-facing events calendar platform powered by Localist. Go ahead and update your bookmarks, follow the link (even if you don’t have an event to add), log in with your NetID and password, and take a look around.

We have been working to migrate existing events from the current events calendar at https://events.utk.edu into the new calendar in anticipation of this launch. After Monday, https://events.utk.edu will redirect to https://calendar.utk.edu and the “old” calendar will go away.

EVENT SUBMISSION

To submit an event, once you are logged in, simply follow the “Submit an Event” button and complete the event submission form. Your event will go into our pending queue where it will be reviewed and likely added.

If part of your job duties involves submitting events for your department or unit on a regular basis, please email [log in to unmask] with your contact information, and we will follow up with you directly regarding more information and training for managing your own events in the new calendar.

EVENT PROMOTION

Tennessee Today newsletter:
For events that you’d like to see promoted in the Tennessee Today newsletter, you will still need to submit your event to the calendar first (as per our current policy). Once it’s there, give [log in to unmask] a shout and let them know.

On your website:

You can create embeddable widgets and feeds for websites. Once you have events to promote, simply go into the Widget Builder at https://calendar.utk.edu/help/widget and create a custom widget to add to your site. Site admins! If you need to embed a simple RSS feed, enter your parameters in the Widget Builder, click “Preview,” copy the resulting URL from the browser bar, and change the format to rss. For example, the RSS feed for all events on the calendar is as follows: https://calendar.utk.edu/widget/view?schools=utk&days=365&num=50&match=any&format=rss (Note: if Creative Communications hosts your website, we will take care of this for you)

Social sharing:

Each event features social sharing buttons (down the left side of the browser) that allow you and other users to easily share the events you create on social media outlets. Also, when submitting events, you can further integrate social promotion by adding links to your unique Twitter hashtag, website for the event, Facebook/Twitter page for the event, etc.

MORE INFORMATION

We’ll be sharing more information about our new events calendar throughout the coming weeks and months. It’s a fantastic new addition to our events promotion capabilities at UT and we hope you will make good, regular use of it and encourage others to do so as well.

Thank you,

Leigh

Leigh Shoemaker

Assistant Director, Web & Electronic Media

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Creative Communications

91 Communications Building

communications.utk.edu