Dear Undergrad students,

I will be teaching Geog 375 (Society/Spaces of South Asia) in SP 2018 (Tuesdays/Thursdays) and this course meets upper division GED requirements, along with being a choice for Asian Studies, Global Studies, etc.  If you have interest in a fast developing region of the world -- the land of human, religion, social, economic and cultural diversity -- and a region that has opportunities for a competitive economy within a globalized world, with enormous capacity for human capital growth/potentials, this class could serve your hunger for knowledge. This course is offered once in 4-6 semesters, and hence this could be a good time to take it.  In addition to the serious topics such as economy, geopolitics, imperialism, poverty & the green revolution, I will also be focusing on contemporary topics such as the Hollywood vs. the Bollywood & the Lollywood, religion, music, art & architecture, arranged marriages, caste system, foods & spices, the South  Asian diaspora -- the ABCDs (American Born Confused Desis) and the fusion NRI cultures via movies/films such as the Mississippi Masala (Denzel Washington), My Name is Khan and the like.  Please find attached flyer that can inform you broadly about the topics that I plan on covering.  Contents will cover topics/issues from all the countries within the South Asian region.

For those who also have interest in some serious topics and are in your senior/junior levels, my grad level course Geog 541: Topics in Urban-Economic Geography (Wednesdays) could be also of interest. Undergraduate students are allowed to take this class. Feel free to come/talk to me if you want more clarity. I am attaching this flyer also for your information.

Thanks and hope to see many of you in my classes in Spring 2018.

Madhuri

<http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-madhuri-sharma/>

Madhuri Sharma
Associate Professor