Dear Faculty, Grads, and undergrads in Geography,

If you have students in your classes/labs that are not now geography or geology majors, would you do us the favor of mentioning our NSF Geopaths project to them?  In brief, we are encouraging UT undergrads and students at community colleges to consider majoring in the earth sciences, which for our program includes physical geography (the Climate Change and Landscapes and Environment concentrations) in our department and  geology and environmental studies in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences.

Students who join in the next few days are eligible to participate in a free weekend (November 10-11-12) event at Tremont in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  The information is on the website on the attached flyer.  The deadline to sign up for the Tremont trip is Monday, October 16.

If you are willing to add the announcement to your class lecture I will send you the powerpoint file.  If you want to email the pdf version of the ad to students in your classes and labs, that would be great!

Students are welcome to email me or Kelsey.  Here is more information in case you have eager students who can't find the information from the main project link on the advertisement:

Information on the Great Smoky Mountains trip is under "Tremont Experience" on the Opportunities page here:

http://eps.utk.edu/geopaths/opportunities.php

Applying for Tremont isn't any different from applying to GEOPATHS overall, so interested students need to go to the "Get Involved" page here:

http://eps.utk.edu/geopaths/involved.php

Thank you!

Sally and Kelsey

Sally P. Horn, Professor