From: Bentley, Alex
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 7:59 AM
To: Kalafsky, Ronald V
Subject: New course on Big-Data social sciences

Dear Ron

I am teaching a course this year that I have taught in previous years as “Big-Data social sciences,” where we do everything from map obesity by county in the U.S., to text-mine tweets from the 2016 election, analyze data from the world values survey and/or the ethnographic atlas, and more. We work in the freely-available package R Studio, but the only requirement is a laptop – no programming experience is required.  We also discuss essential theories in this field of research, from social network analysis to culture evolution and basic sentiment analysis of text.

It is now called “Big-data anthropology,” (attached flier) but essentially the same course.

I am trying to get the word out – I wondered if this course might interest any of your students in Geography?

Thanks!

Alex

Prof. Alex Bentley

Head of Anthropology