To Geography majors and minors:

This past month five UT students went to Oslo and London on a study abroad program on The Age of Migration. They received training in qualitative methods and applied their interview and observation skills in Oslo and London. We discussed international migration topics and took field trips to learn more about the history of migration and current migration issues. We also attended several events that were organized for refugee week in London.

As we are wrapping up the study abroad course I would like to share some of the students' work. It showcases what students have learned in the course, and hopefully inspires you to take a study abroad course in the near future.

William Oaks and Steven Guerrera created a one-minute multi-media presentation about migration in Norway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poIW4GasS9c&feature=youtu.be

Darcy Ayers and Alex Webb also created a 90-second multi-media presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2BcvgCBDg&feature=youtu.be

The students wrote blog postings about their experiences. These are the highlights:

Darcy Ayers: Applying Doreen Massey's power geometry of space to field sites in London http://skilledmigration.utk.edu/compressing-time-and-space-in-london/

Alex Webb: Does racism exist?

http://skilledmigration.utk.edu/does-racism-exist/

William Oaks: A tour of the Islamic Art gallery in the British Museum

http://skilledmigration.utk.edu/category/william-oakes/

Ian Constantinos: Brixton - London's secret treasure

http://skilledmigration.utk.edu/wp-admin/post.php?post=593&action=edit

Steven Guerrera: Norwegian explorers in the Arctic

http://skilledmigration.utk.edu/arctic-migration/

Best wishes,

Dr. van Riemsdijk