Dear Geographers:

Incoming Department Head Ron Kalafsky has asked me as the current chair of the Special Events Committee to lead the process of selecting alumni to be honored in 2017-2018.  We started earlier last year, and we honored alumni during the Fall semester.  Perhaps we will be able to move quickly enough that we can again honor alumni this coming Fall semester.  Or, perhaps this will be something for Spring.  In any case, I was asked today to get the ball rolling, and I will.

Please give some thought to who we should honor and send me your nominations ([log in to unmask]) by Friday, May 19, 2017 (two weeks from today).

I think much of the same wording that Derek had sent to us to initiate the 2016-2017 process will work for us this year, and so I borrow heavily from that wording in the text below.

We are seeking nominations for early career, mid-career, and lifetime awards.  The specific time criteria for those awards is spelled out below.

In your nominations, please specify the category of award along with the person’s name, year of graduation, current position, and a statement explaining why you feel the nominee is deserving.  This statement will be distributed to faculty members and student representatives to the Department as part of the selection process. Nominations can come from faculty, students, staff, and members of our Advisory/Alumni Board.

When making your nomination, please consider honoring not only those who have pursued academic/university employment since graduation but also those who have made significant contributions through other career paths.  And of course, a significant contribution is not restricted to what one accomplishes through one’s job.

Geography Department Alumni Awards

Distinguished Alumni Early Career Award (< 10 years since graduation)

Distinguished Alumni Mid-Career Award (10-25 years since graduation)

Distinguished Alumni Lifetime Award (over 25 years since graduation)

I have attached a list of people who were nominated and did not receive awards last year, provided by Henri.  I invite the original nominators or anyone else to renominate these same folks if you wish to do so.  I think it is most fair to say that they are not automatically on the list for consideration for the coming year, but I will put them on the list if I hear from you.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Sally

Sally P. Horn, Professor