Dear Geography Students,

Good Luck with your Exams and have a great Summer!!! As a part of the Geospatial Sciences Tract of study, I am offering Fall 2017 -- GEOG 413: Remote Sensing of the Environment.

Undergraduate students in this course have in the past and recently presented in URSA, EUReCA and  TNGIC - Tennessee Geographic Information Council and recently won EURECA 1st Place in the Physical Science Section, and Honorable Mention and 1st Place in the Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Section and an Office of Research & Engagement Bronze Medal (and monetary award).

A graduate student in the course was encouraged to work on his dissertation study for the lab modules and has published 3 peer-reviewed research papers including the Journal of Hydrology. Another graduate student published in the Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. A number of students have gone on to graduate school and a professional life. We teach cutting edge applications in Lidar and Drone technology.

We have 10 slots open per lab section X 2 lab sections. Please let your students know about this opportunity.

There are no pre-reqs other than high school physics, math (algebra, geometry & trig), & chemistry and the mean grade is an A-. We have had students from Forestry, Wildlife, & Fisheries in Entomology, Wildlife, & Fisheries; Biosystems Engineering & Soils, Geography, EEB, Civil Engineering, Anthropology/Archaeology, and from the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences including Paleontology and Geology.

Kindest regards,

Robert A. Washington-Allen

Assistant Professor of Geography

Environmental Tomography Laboratory

Department of Geography

University of Tennessee

304 Burchfiel Geography Building

1000 Phillip Fulmer Way

Knoxville, TN 37996-0925

Cell: 979-571-4330

e-mail: washingtonra@utk.edu

website: http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-robert-washington-allen/

"God has chosen the world that is the most perfect,that is to say, the one that is at the same time the simplest in hypotheses and the richest in phenomena."

— Leibniz

"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."

--- Isaac Newton