Dear Colleagues and Friends, and GTU students

Peter Costello will be lecturing for SOPHERE this coming Friday, April 7,
at 10 am, a JST.  Some of you emailed me that they would like to come, but
they are not familiar with phenomenology. Phenomenology is simply a
philosophical approach which focuses on subjectivity, and studies human
experience;  do not let the terminology to turn you off because the
knowledge of human experience is very important skill for religious
leaders. Myself and Fr. Vincent Pastro will be there to answer questions
and help with understanding of philosophical terms if needed (and in the
Fall 2017 we will offer a series of seminars on the basics of
phenomenological approach to religion and pastral practice. Please pass
this information to those who may be interested

This is the ZOOM access if you decide to attend.

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/166840646

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll):  +14086380968,166840646# or
+16465588656,166840646#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    Meeting ID: 166 840 646
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/
zoomconference?m=XPBQUgIYBT_jRzg5fhDIXWmc_M9ohwO1

Here is Peter's topic and description.

*Givenness and Explication: Phenomenology As Being-Towards the Margins,**
Key Biblical texts in light of reading of Husserl*

Using Derrida’s notion of hospitality from *Of Hospitality, *I argue in
this lecture that Husserl’s phenomenology has always attempted to write its
descriptions of objects, world, and other people in as welcoming a way as
possible.  Phenomenology welcomes and stands in solidarity, in other words,
with what remains on the margins.  Using the famous text concerning “The
Principle of All Principles” from his first book of the *Ideas, *as well as
sections from *Formal and Transcendental Logic, **Cartesian Meditations, *
and *The Crisis of the European Sciences, *I will show more
specifically how the manner and motion of givenness is to draw us toward
the margins of experience.  Our objects, our world, an the other people who
lead us toward them from within–these all are meaningful dis-placements
toward and from the margin.   Phenomenological explication, for Husserl,
becomes then a kind of “absolute beginning” and a *continuation* of
givenness as it founds the non-primordial dichotomies of inner and outer,
immanent and transcendent.

After having determined to what extent phenomenology is
primordial, hospitable and aims at the margins, I will turn to texts from
the Books of *Deuteronomy*, *​Ruth *and* Esther, *as well as the Gospels of
*Luke *and *John *to show how phenomenology demands a privileging of the
discourse of the stranger and the act of welcoming.  Phenomenology demands,
in other words, that we fashion our political and religious lives in a
hospitable way toward the stranger as an echo of the very motion of
experience.

​Rev. ​
Olga Louchakova-Schwartz
​, M.D., Ph.D.​

Professor Emerita, Psychology and Comparative Religion,
​ ​
Institute of Transpersonal Psychology​

​Visiting Scholar, Philosophy of Religion, Graduate Theological Union,​
​ Berkeley
Clinical Faculty Member, UC Davis School of Medicine​

Founding President, Society for the Phenomenology of Religious Experience
www.sophere.org

​