Good Afternoon Geographers -
I want to let you know about an event, the inaugural Geographic Visionary Award Event, that the National Geographic Society and the Tennessee Geographic Alliance (TGA) are co-hosting in Nashville on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 from noon - 1:30pm at the Nashville Renaissance Hotel.
The purpose of the event is two-fold.  One, it's a fundraiser for the Alliance.  Any funds raised will go directly into TGA programming like the 2017 Geospatial Academy that we are hosting in Knoxville this summer for teachers of grades 6-12.  The second and, at this day and time, the more important purpose is to raise the visibility of geography education to a group of stakeholders that we might not reach otherwise.
The Event will honor an accomplished leader who understands the importance of global understanding and world systems.  Additionally, the event will honor a global company actively "bringing the world to Tennessee-and Tennessee to the world."  This year our honorees are Randy Boyd and the Nissan Motor Company of North America.  This exciting event will convene 300 or so of our state's top business executives, political leaders, educators, innovators, scientists and engineers at a luncheon in downtown Nashville featuring inspirational speakers - celebrating our honorees and highlighting Tennessee's milestones on the world stage.  It will promote understanding of geography education, geospatial technology and geographic literacy as they relate to workforce development and critical competencies of our State's future leaders.
I invite you to attend and/or sponsor a table.  If you are not able to attend, I encourage you to reach out to your networks to make them aware of the event and the opportunity to increase the visibly of geography in the state.
There are higher level sponsorships available above that of a 10-person table.  Please contact me directly at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 865-974-4841 if you need additional information.
Ticket ordering and sponsorship information is available at:  http://www.tngeographicalliance.org/upcoming-events.html
Thank you for your attention to this request.
If you no longer wish to receive emails from me about geography education issues, please don't hesitate to email me and ask to be removed from my contact list(s).
Kurt Butefish
Coordinator
Tennessee Geographic Alliance