Dear Club Geography:

Some of you might be interested in knowing about an innovative conference hosted on campus later this week.  The conference is entitled “New Directions in Critical Race and Ethnic Studies.”  It has many noted social scientists attending and presenting, including some of the leading theorists and thinkers on race and social justice.  Given that race and ethnicity is a major theme within our program, this appears to be a great opportunity for learning and sharing ideas.

I have attached the final program to my message.

Also, I am happy to report that three of our graduate students (Ethan Bottone, Jordan Brasher, and Bradley Hinger) will be making presentations at the conference on Saturday. I know they will do a good job representing Geography and our unit. Pass along your well wishes to them when you have a chance.

Best wishes,
DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD
Vice President, American Association of Geographers
Professor & Head, Department of Geography
Betty Lynn Hendrickson Professor of Social Science
University of Tennessee
304C Burchfiel Geography Building
Knoxville, TN 37996-0925
Voice: (865) 974-0406