Geographers,
Good news on the UTK Community Engagement Grant we applied for to upgrade some components of the Augmented Reality Sandbox. Our grant application was approved<http://engagement.utk.edu/blog/2017/2017-2018-community-engagement-incentive-grant-winners-selected/> and we plan on upgrading the CPU and projector this summer. We will need to install the software and possibly modify the current sandbox to better use the new equipment so I’ll be sending out updates once we have the equipment purchased if you want to learn more about it.

I want to thank Dr. Alderman and Kurt Butefish for reviewing the grant application as well as Brian Smith from Jefferson Middle School in Oak Ridge who provided us with a letter of support. And none of this would have been possible without the efforts of Dr. Robert Washington-Allen, Dr. Philip Li, and graduate student Kyle Landolt for their early grant writing efforts, constructing the sandbox, and installing and writing instructions for the software. In addition, many of you have spent hours helping to load, unload, roll, set-up and take down the sandbox at various K-12, UT, and public events. Your efforts showed a dedication from our department to the grant reviewers which I’m sure helped secure our funding.

As usual, your excellent work makes my job of promoting our department so much easier.

Thanks,

Michael Camponovo, CFM
GIS Outreach Coordinator
Geography Department