Dear Geographers,

I'm super pleased to share the excellent news that geography major Luke Blentlinger has received a 2017 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship award from the Office of Research to work in our department's Laboratory of Paleoenviromental Research.  Luke will investigate stable carbon isotope signatures in sediments from a wetland in Costa Rica, as an indicator of changes in vegetation and land use at this site near an area of great archaeological interest.   The work is part of a larger project that involves several of us at the University of Tennessee -- including Dr. Erik Johanson, PhD students Matt Boehm and Matt Kerr, undergraduate Jacob Cecil, and me, UT Geography Adjunct Dr. Chad Lane at the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, and Dr. Mauricio Murillo, Professor in Anthropology at the University of Costa Rica.

If you follow our Geography twitter account, you've already seen mention of this and a great photo of Luke taken by Matt Kerr.  Luke has been working in our lab as a Geography 494 student, helping Matt Kerr on analyses for his dissertation and with other collaborative work involving Matt, me, and others.   Potential 494 students take note: involvement in our lab and in other UT research for course credit does often lead to salaried internships and positions down the line!

If you missed the twitter post, you can check it out here:

https://twitter.com/UTKGeography/status/845121876225490944

Congratulations to Luke!

Sincerely,

Sally Horn