Geography majors and graduate students,

In Fall 2017, the department will offer Geography 432, Environmental History from Tree Rings. This is a 4 credit hour course, with three 50-minute lectures and one 1 hr and 50 minute lab per week, which means 16 quality points (rather than 12) towards your GPA if you earn an “A”! The course is part of our “Climate and Climate Change” concentration, and satisfies requirements in the “Humans Living on a Dynamic Earth” and “Understanding Climate Change” connections packages in Arts and Sciences. You can read more about the course in the attached flyer, but please come see me and ask questions if you’re interested in possibly enrolling. Geography graduate students: please enroll early because this course attracts graduate students from across campus (Forestry, Anthropology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) and fills up quickly! Mainly because…

… seating is *very* limited because we can only hold 12 students in each of the two labs on Monday afternoon, so please do register early if you intend to take the course. Geography majors: Once you’ve taken the course, you’ll be eligible for working in the Laboratory of Tree-ring Science (LTRS, in Burchfiel Room 402) on real-world projects that range from reconstructing climate from whitebark pines from Wyoming to dating samples taken from historic structures all through the Southeastern U.S., such as Blount Mansion here in downtown Knoxville. But wait, it gets better! If you work in the LTRS after taking this course, not only will you get lab and field experience for your growing resume, but you can also earn up to 3 hours of course credit via Geography 494, Undergraduate Research Experience!

All for now. Shoot me an email if you’d like to learn more!

http://images.utk.edu/images/interface/ut-emailsignature.gif

Henri Grissino-Mayer
Professor of Geography

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Department of Geography
417 Burchfiel Geography Building
1000 Phillip Fulmer Way
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0925

Google Scholar    LinkedIn    Academia.edu    Web Site    LTRS
Big Orange. Big Ideas.