From: CLAS [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 4:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Vanderbilt Center for Latin American Studies Seeks Outreach Coordinator

The Center for Latin American Studies at Vanderbilt University is seeking an Outreach Coordinator to lead our K-16 and public engagement initiatives.  We have benefited greatly from Lisa Finelli’s leadership in our outreach efforts, will miss her energy and enthusiasm, and wish her well as she goes on to new adventures in Los Angeles. The job description for her replacement and link to apply are below; please distribute to anyone who might be interested.

https://vanderuniv.taleo.net/careersection/.vu_cs/jobdetail.ftl?job=1700281&tz=GMT-06%3A00).

The Center for Latin American Studies at Vanderbilt University seeks an Outreach Coordinator to lead our educational programs for teacher training and public engagement.  CLAS is designated as a National Resource Center by the U.S. Department of Education.  NRCs form the backbone of U.S. language and area expertise, and one of their key mandates is providing outreach to educators at the local, regional, and national levels.

The CLAS Outreach Coordinator does this through:

1) organizing professional development workshops and programs for K-12 teachers in Tennessee and throughout the region; 2) developing curricular materials related to Latin America; 3) maintaining partnerships with local organizations and minority-serving institutions in the region; 4) coordinating social media and publicity; and 5) organizing on and off-campus events targeting the university community and the general public.

We are looking for an energetic candidate with strong organizational and communication skills, the ability to build and manage relationships with multiple constituencies, and the ability to manage multiple projects at once in a fast-paced environment.

Key Functions and Expected Performances:

·        Developing and coordinating curriculum development resources which promote understanding of Latin America to the educational community (primary targets include K-12, 4-year and community colleges, and Minority Serving Institutions).  Ideal candidates will have curriculum development experience.

·        Organizing and facilitating professional development workshops for educators for the creation and dissemination of curriculum resources.

·        Designing and providing outreach programs and activities for the general public, media and business interests, and local community organizations.

·        Maintaining relationships with on and off campus organizations (museums, schools, businesses) who work on Latin America.

·        Facilitating collection of data for federal grant reporting and for the impact assessment of our outreach programs.

·        Working with local and regional organizations, institutions, and partner universities (requires some travel).

·        Representing CLAS at various regional and national conferences, such as LASA, AATSP, NCSS, TFLTA, and others.

·        Coordinating on and off-campus media relations, editing our website, and overseeing social media.

·        Managing graduate student workers.

·        Will include some evening and weekend work.

Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences:

·        Background in education and/or Latin America

·        Experience working with websites and social media

·        Strong communication and public speaking skills

·        Willingness to collaborate with community partners on initiatives

·        Demonstration of ability to work as a strong team member

·        Conversational and reading proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese

Center for Latin American Studies

Vanderbilt University

VU Station B #351806

Nashville, Tennessee 37235-1806

615.322.2527

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/clas/

[log in to unmask]" alt="VU_CLAS combo1">