Geographers,

Following up on my last message, I will append below the list of the 19 students in our department who have received doctoral dissertation research improvement (DDRI) awards from the NSF to support their dissertation research.

With today's good news, we have two PhD students currently funded by NSF, Matt Kerr and Matt Boehm.  At least two students recently put in applications for the February 2017 round, and we will hopefully soon have more active awards in the department and more than 20 overall!

NSF DDRI awards are made across the spectrum of geography, in physical, human, and technical areas.  The geography program also occasionally funds proposals from students in other disciplines.  Daniel Lewis in the UT Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, whose research was co-directed by Henri Grissino-Mayer, received an NSF DDRI award to support his research.

NSF accepts DDRI applications in February and August.  I encourage PhD students who will apply for the February 2018 competition to sign up for Geography 581: Grant Proposal Writing in Geography in Fall semester We will spend several weeks in the course focused on DDRI awards and course participants and I will help you work on your proposal. I also encourage PhD students to take advantage of grant-related sessions at the upcoming AAG meeting.  There are formal sessions arranged by current program officers for the Geography and Spatial Sciences program at NSF (source of all funding below), and there are many informal sessions on NSF and other grants.

In the list below, the year is the start year for each grant, and the name in parentheses is the advisor.

2015–present

Matthew Kerr (Horn) - 2017

Mathew Boehm (Horn) - 2015

2005–2014

Nancy Li (Li) - 2013

Grant Harley (Grissino-Mayer) - 2010

Matt Valente (Horn) - 2010

Chris Underwood (Horn) - 2009

Mark Spond (Grissino-Mayer) - 2009

Maria Caffrey (Horn) - 2009

John Sakulich (Grissino-Mayer) - 2009

Zachary Taylor (Horn) - 2008

Justin Hart (Grissino-Mayer) - 2006

David Mann (Grissino-Mayer) - 2006

Saskia van de Gevel (Grissino-Mayer) - 2005

Georgia DeWeese (Grissino-Mayer) - 2005

1995-2004

Lisa Davis (Harden) - 2004

Jim Speer (Orvis) - 2000