Dear Colleagues,
1. We can swipe cards!2. We added more information to our programming notes. Please join your colleagues and friends for all of the following events!

STC-ETC Programs for 2017

Mark your calendar! We have some great programs planned.

1.      EVENING PROGRAM—Thursday, January 26: LaTeX Overview presented by Nathan Murray

If you see yourself creating documents that use scientific or mathematical notation, or you just wonder what the buzz is about, you will want to attend this program. The word on the street is that ORNL likes to see LaTeX experience on an applicant’s resume.

Details: Barley’s, pizza buffet, 6:30 pm; program starts at 7:00 pm

Cost: $15 for members; $20 for non-members; $10 for students. Fanfare—We can now swipe credit cards and email a receipt.  (Thank you, Jessica Hingtgen, for the vision!) RSVP: [log in to unmask]

2.      NOON PROGRAM—Thursday, February 23: Bringing Real Passion to the Editing Process

Rose Raney, a published Knoxville poet, UT grad, and technical communicator, will lead an interactive workshop on editing from the reader's perspective. Bring your pen!

Details: Emerson Process Management, 835 Innovation Dr. Knoxville, TN 37932. Phone: 800 675 4726, brown bag; 11:45 am to 1:00 pm. (Thank you, Emerson and Amy Kidd!) Note: Foreign nationals need to contact Amy Kidd before the program at [log in to unmask]; all visitors need to sign in when they access the training lobby.RSVP: [log in to unmask]

3.      EVENING PROGRAM—Tuesday, April 4: Hill Lecture—Joel Achenbach, Washington Post science writer on “fake news”

Joel Achenbach is a staff writer for The Washington Post and the author of seven books, including Why Things Are (1991); It Looks Like a President Only Smaller: Trailing Campaign 2000 (2001); Captured by Aliens: The Search for Life and Truth in a Very Large Universe (2003); The Grand Idea: George Washington's Potomac and the Race to the West (2005); and A Hole at the Bottom of the Sea: The Race to Kill the BP Oil Gusher (2011). He graduated from Princeton University in 1982 with a BA in Politics. He also won the Philip J. Klass Award by National Capital Area Skeptics (NCAS) in 2011.

Details:  8 p.m., College of Nursing Auditorium, UT campus

Contributing sponsor: STC-ETC

4.      EVENING PROGRAM—Tuesday, May 9, Blakely Award Ceremony—Awards, recognition, dinner

Details: TBD

See you soon!

STC-ETC Board
 Mary Ryba Knepper, Ryba Associates, Inc."Supporting human performance by promoting excellence in technical, scientific, and professional communication”[log in to unmask] cell