Dear Geography majors/minors and others,

During the late November meeting of the Southeastern Division of the Association of American Geographers I spent some time talking to faculty members from Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, Georgia.

They have just begun an Applied Master's program in Geography that may interest some of you.  Here is the link to their Office of Graduate Admissions (where you would apply) -- http://cogs.georgiasouthern.edu/admission/master-of-science-applied-geography/

cogs.georgiasouthern.edu
The Master of Science degree with a major in Applied Geography prepares graduates for advanced study, meaningful employment, and life-long learning.
And here is a link to the Department web page:

http://cosm.georgiasouthern.edu/geo/

cosm.georgiasouthern.edu
In the Department of Geology and Geography at Georgia Southern University, students learn by discovery. You will be immersed in the sciences, in addition to your ...
While some graduate programs in Geography, such as ours, have an application deadline in December or January, the application deadline for the program at Georgia Southern is in April.

So, if an applied master's degree sounds like something you would find interesting, you still have time to think about an application for Fall 2017, or later.  I was told that they have eight teaching assistantships to fund graduate students in their new program.  I don't know the details, but typically a teaching assistantship covers most required fees (tuition) and pays a salary in return for work in the classroom, such as teaching a lab in GIS or physical geography, or perhaps leading a discussion section in a human geography course, along with grading exams and exercises.

Best wishes,

Sally Horn

Sally P. Horn, Professor
Department of Geography