Dear Geography Students,

Happy New Year to you all!!!

I hope, like me that you spent your holidays resting on the beach (Jamaica..Ya Man!!), spending X-mas with your 94 year old Great Aunt and with family you haven’t seen in 31 years!!! I’ll se them in another 31 years!!!

I would like to invite you to take GEOG 495 Special Topic in Remote Sensing: Image Processing in Spring 2017 (No Pre-reqs!!) 1 to 4 Credit Hours

Lecture: BGB 405, T R 11:10 – 12:25pm, Lab 001/002: BGB 405, W 12:20 pm- 2:15pm/2:30 – 4:25 pm

Unlike GEOG 413, where the focus was on the theory and background of remote sensing and an introduction to image processing skills., the primary focus in 495 will be on development of your image processing skills in remote sensing. You will learn a highly marketable skill, because as you may know Forbes Magazine  has ranked cartographer and photogrammetrist #15 among the 20  fastest growing jobs in the USA. This is primarily in keeping with the rise in Drone sales and someone has to process this data. Please note that over the last 3 years the mean grade in Geography’s remote sensing courses has been an A-.

Again Happy New Year!!!

Kindest regards,

Robert A. Washington-Allen

Assistant Professor of Geography

Environmental Tomography Laboratory

Department of Geography

University of Tennessee

304 Burchfiel Geography Building

1000 Phillip Fulmer Way

Knoxville, TN 37996-0925

Cell: 979-571-4330

e-mail: washingtonra@utk.edu

website: http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-robert-washington-allen/

"God has chosen the world that is the most perfect,that is to say, the one that is at the same time the simplest in hypotheses and the richest in phenomena."

— Leibniz

"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."

--- Isaac Newton