Labnotes - November 2016

From our Campus Labs vendor – some notes of interest including webinars that are free for participating institutions’ faculty and staff. Hope the formatting comes through!

Mary Lewnes Albrecht, PhD

Associate Vice Provost for Accreditation

From: Annemieke Rice [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Annemieke Rice
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 10:19 AM
To: Albrecht, Mary Lewnes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: LabNotes - November 2016

Labnotes

November 2016

Introducing Campus Intelligence

We recently launched a new site for all things data in higher ed. A dedicated thought leadership space, Campus Intelligence will help you reimagine the possibilities of data in higher ed. You’ll be able to explore blog posts, podcasts, articles, and white papers designed to help you advance your institution. Be sure to sign up for biweekly digests delivered right to your inbox – and let us know about any topics you’d like to see covered in the future. Visit the site »

Subscribe today for your chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card

From the Blog

Challenging Traditional Assumptions About Assessment Management

For the third podcast in our Data in Higher Education series, Casey Iannone and JD White, PhD, discussed the decade-long shift in how institutions gather and use vital information for assessment management. Casey recapped the conversation in a recent blog post.

Read more

Data in Higher Education Podcast Series

Advancing Innovation of Teaching and Learning with a More Holistic Approach

In our fourth episode, JD White, PhD, talks with Ken Ryalls, PhD, about shifting the paradigm for teaching and learning. Most current approaches, for instance, emphasize using course evaluations to evaluate a faculty member instead of focusing on professional development to improve instruction methods. Ken advocates a holistic system that neither ignores nor overemphasizes student feedback, and rewards classroom engagement, improved teaching, healthy risk-taking, and a pursuit of innovation. Ken Ryalls is President of IDEA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the improvement of learning in higher education through research, assessment, and professional development.

Listen now

Data Discovery at #EDU16

What’s in a Verb?

Our Data Science team recently leveraged the power of the Campus Labs® platform to probe a little deeper into the sessions at this year’s EDUCAUSE Conference, unlocking some interesting insights. After tagging the verbs used in the session abstracts, some interesting trends emerged. For example, out of 299 sessions, only 2 percent featured learning outcomes at the remembering and analyzing levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy, and the largest focus – at 32 percent – was found at the understanding level.

Our data discovery from EDUCAUSE merely scratches the surface of the powerful capabilities within the Campus Labs platform. In fact, analytics and insights like these are just the beginning of what we can bring to an institution.

Learn more

Fresh Inspiration, Just in Time for Summer

The Votes Are in

We were recently honored by Campus Technology magazine with a 2016 Readers’ Choice Awards, which surveyed hundreds of education professionals and asked them to name the best products on the market. For the second year in a row, Campus Labs earned recognition in the category of Student Success/Retention. We’re grateful for the trust given to us by industry peers and campuses. We’re more committed than ever to advancing student success goals for all our Member Campuses.

Read the news story

Eager to learn how your campus-wide data can help drive your retention efforts? Register for our December webinar:

The Untapped Data Ecosystem: Using Analytics and Insight to Improve Student Success

#ICYMI

Check out our recordings of some other recent webinars you might have missed:

Developing a Process of Continuous Improvement

This webinar features campus practitioners at institutions who are at various stages of implementing continuous improvement plans. Listen as they share successful buy-in techniques as well as tips for using the Campus Labs® Planning tools.

Make Rubrics a Best Practice at Your Institution

Rubrics are a scalable assessment method that can be used by anyone – instructors, advisors, programs, departments, colleges, and entire institutions – to better understand student success and uncover opportunities to improve. This session covers common challenges and proven solutions when using rubrics.

An Introduction to Standards in Student Affairs and Services for the Institutional Effectiveness Pro

Learn how to use CAS materials to help your student affairs and services departments conduct program review and strategic planning, articulate and assess learning, and benchmark against national standards.

Making a Difference: Improving Teaching and Learning Through Semester-Long Feedback

Co-hosted by the IDEA Center, this webinar provides an overview of the Campus Labs® Course Evaluations formative feedback tool. Research behind the tool’s seven featured teaching and learning questions is also presented.

Engaging Students in the Course Evaluation Process

An effective course evaluation process ensures your faculty and administrators have the data (and response rates) they need to improve teaching and learning. Join us for a review of best practices for engaging students in the process.

On The Road - Winter 2016

In addition to our campus visits, we’ll be traveling to a number of conferences over the next few months.

  • SACSCOC Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
    December 3 – 6, 2016
  • NEASC Annual Meeting and Conference, Boston, MA
    December 7 – 9, 2016
  • MSCHE Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA
    December 7 – 9, 2016
  • HLC Annual Conference, Chicago, IL
    March 31 – April 4, 2017
  • WASC Academic Resource Conference, San Diego, CA
    April 19 – 21, 2017

Let’s keep the #labgab conversations going! Be sure to check our website to see what else we have scheduled.

Are you ready for 2017?

December is a great time to schedule a check-in call with your consultant to discuss your campus goals for next year.

Welcoming Our Newest Member Campuses

SUNY Polytechnic Institute, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Campbell University, Universityof Colorado - Boulder

Labnotes

Campus Labs Logo

Facebook Logo

Twitter Logo