Hi all.
Although this is addressed to JEM it is open to ALL students. Jamelle Bouie is an interesting speaker and his topic is timely and important.  To avoid including an attachment I posted the wording from the press release below the forwarded email.
Suzie

Suzie Allard, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Research, College of Communication & Information
Professor, School of Information Sciences
Director, Center for Information & Communication Studies

University of Tennessee
1345 Circle Park Drive | 423 Communications Building| Knoxville, TN | 37996-0341 | USA
T  865.974.1369 | F  865.974.7878 | E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | W http://cics.cci.utk.edu<http://cics.cci.utk.edu/>/

Dear University of Tennessee Journalism Department,

My name is Dylan from Campus Events Board's Issues Committee, and we will be hosting Jamelle Bouie for a speech on Wednesday, November 16th at 7:30PM in Alumni Memorial Building’s Cox Auditorium.  Mr. Bouie is Slate Magazine’s Chief Political Correspondent and a regular political analysis commentator on CBS News.  Mr. Bouie will be speaking on past civil rights movements, how they relate to the current situation today, and how to create a more equal nation for every citizen. More information is included in the press release that I have attached. I was hoping you would be able to pass along this information to those that you think would be interested. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Dylan Douglas

************* Press Release
If 2016 has shown us anything, it’s that America has not solved questions about race relations that have existed since the founding of the country. Tensions are at a high in America today, with perhaps no issue being more of a lightning rod than that of policing. “Protect and serve” is a phrase that every police officer has emblazoned across their car and wants to live out, but minority communities feel persecuted and endangered instead of protected.  The current system is broken and steps need to be taken to repair damages in communities across the country. How do we fix these problems together as a nation without entrenching divisions further?
On Wednesday, November 16th in Alumni Memorial Building’s Cox Auditorium at 7:30PM, Jamelle Bouie will come to speak about today’s civil rights movement and what can be done to ease racial tensions and create equality for all Americans. His speech will cover topics related to civil rights movements in the past and how they relate to the current situation in the United States today. Mr. Bouie is the Chief Political Correspondent for Slate Magazine, a regular contributor as a political analyst on CBS News, and one of Forbes’ 2015 “30 Under 30” members. Mr. Bouie is a rising voice on national politics and brings a candid, historical perspective on the past and how the past relates to the problems that the country faces today. A short meet and greet with Mr. Bouie will proceed the event.
This event is designated as a Becker Seminar through the Chancellor's Honors Program at UT.  This event is funded by the Student Programs and Services Fee. Please choose Option 1 when prompted on myutk.utk.edu in order to support student programs. This event is free for all students and the general public. Student ID is required for all events. For more information or to arrange disability accommodations, please contact the Center for Student Engagement at (865) 974-5455.