Dear UT Geography community:

I wanted to briefly follow up on the announcement below about our special guest, Dr. Shaowen Wang. He will be in the Department Nov. 14 (Mon) and 15 (Tues) of next week.  Dr. Tran has graciously agreed to set up some meetings with faculty and students—please volunteer.  Specifically, I want to bring to your attention that Dr. Wang will be delivering a lecture on Nov. 15 at 3:40pm sharp in the EPS (Earth and Planetary Science) Building, room 302—NOT in Burchfiel.  Please see the attached flier (nicely designed by our own Paulo Raposo) for specifics about title, abstract, etc.  For those who don’t know, EPS is up on the Hill and it would be a good idea to head out of Burchfiel a little early to make the talk on time.  Again, as I said before, this is a great honor to have someone of Dr. Wang’s reputation visit us on Geography Awareness Week.

Also, don’t forget that on Nov. 17 (Thursday afternoon), we will hold our official Geography Awareness Week Lecture by Bill O’Brien in the Hodges Memorial Library Auditorium.  We are blessed to have two such talented geographers on campus who are analyzing the world from such different but important perspectives.

Best wishes,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Vice President, American Association of Geographers

Professor & Head, Department of Geography

Betty Lynn Hendrickson Professor of Social Science

University of Tennessee

304C Burchfiel Geography Building

Knoxville, TN 37996-0925

Voice: (865) 974-0406