From: Gellert, Paul Kenneth

Subject: global sociology summer program in Germany

Colleagues in Global Studies, Geography, Anthropology, MFLL, Political Science, History, and Music:

Per UTK’s Study Abroad office, the full 4 week summer session (two 2-week courses) of 10 European ECTS credits is equivalent to 5 US credits. The Sociology Department has approved this coursework as equivalent to upper level undergraduate coursework in our department. It is available to UT students by signing up for summer study in sociology at UT (no transfer credit hassles!).

Costs to students

UT tuition for 5 credits

airfare

University of Duisburg-Essen fee of 290 euros

Accommodation approximately 200-250 euros

Board approximately 200 euros

I have worked with a colleague at University of Duisburg-Essen, Anja Weiss, to make this 4 week global sociology program in Duisburg-Essen (instructed in English) available. It is likely that I will visit to welcome the first batch of UT students who join at the beginning of the 2017 session and also that I or other UTK sociology faculty will teach there in future summer sessions.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Paul

Paul K. Gellert

Associate Professor