From: Seidler, Andrew Edwin
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:41 PM
To: Kalafsky, Ronald V; Klenk, Rebecca; Commander, Michelle Denise; Hamrick, Jim; Ceballos, Manuela; Olsson, Tore; Darby, Erin Danielle; Gay Jr, Leslie C; Blackwell, Stephen H; Rost, Jude Noah; Swan, Sam (Sam); Paul, Drew; Parker, Lisa Ybonne Figueroa; Gellert, Paul Kenneth
Cc: Handelsman, Michael H
Subject: Mon, Oct 24: Info Session & Open House: BOREN Awards for Int'l Study

Dear Fulbright Campus Committee Members:

On Monday, October 24, Ms. Alison Patz, Associate Director for the Boren Awards for International Study (http://www.borenawards.org/), will be visiting campus (flyer attached). Along with Ms. Patz and UT Boren Scholar Paige Scrivener, the ONSF will host an information session and open house on Boren Scholarships (for undergraduates) and Fellowships (for graduate students), which provide up to $24,000 awards to support study abroad. The Boren is a great stepping-stone to a Fulbright application.

www.borenawards.org
The National Security Education Program (NSEP) was established by the National Security Education Act of 1991, which created the National Security Education Board, the National Security Education Program, and resources to provide undergraduate scholarships, graduate fellowships, and institutional grants.

Please encourage your students who are considering studying abroad and pursuing serious foreign language study in a world region underrepresented in study abroad (Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, or the Middle East) to join us Monday in the Community Room at the International House. Beginning at 3:00pm, we will have an information session detailing program basics and eligibility, the application process, what reviewers look for in applications, and what the Boren student experience is like, including post-graduate careers. Then, at 4:00pm, we will transition to more of an “open house”, where students will be able to speak in small groups and 1-on-1 with our presenters. Students are free to come and go as their schedules permit. Undergraduate AND graduate students are invited to attend, as are faculty and staff interested in learning more about the Boren. (And we’ll have coffee and snacks.)

Please let me know if you have any questions. It is not easy to get program officers to visit campus—even last second like this—so I’d really appreciate your help publicizing this! For students unable to attend, but who are interested in the Boren, please have them e-mail me.

Many thanks!

Andrew

Andrew Seidler

Director

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Office of National Scholarships & Fellowships
317 Greve Hall
821 Volunteer Boulevard

+1 865.974.3518
http://onsf.utk.edu