Dear Faculty, Graduate Students, and Undergraduate Students,

One week from tomorrow, October 27, our department will honor two distinguished alumni.  Dr. Cheng Liu of Oak Ridge National Laboratory will receive our Outstanding Alumni Lifetime Achievement Award, and Dr. Charles Lafon of Texas A&M will receive our Outstanding Alumni Mid-Career Award.   The ceremony and related events have been planned by this year's Special Events Coordinating Committee (Robert Washington-Allen, Paulo Raposo, Maegen Rochner, and me, Sally Horn), in consultation with Drs. Alderman and Kalafsky.

The ceremony will begin with a reception in the Galleria of the Library Auditorium, starting at 3:30 on Thursday October 27.  Yes you read that correctly, 3:30 not 3:40.  Please arrive by 3:30 and plan to mingle, socialize, snack, and meet our two honorees.  The official program, hosted by Associate Department Head Ron Kalafsky, will begin at 4:00 and end about 4:55.  After kind words from faculty who will introduce them, each recipient will receive a lovely plaque arranged by Ron Foresta and will then offer some brief reflections.

Dr. Charles Lafon is flying in from Texas and will be on campus on Thursday to interact with faculty and students.  Maegen Rochner is planning a lunch time event for graduate students that will take place between noon and 1:30 in the seminar room.  There is a rumor of pizza; graduate students should watch for more information from Maegen.

Although Charles is here to be celebrated, he has kindly accepted an invitation from Dr. Robert Washington-Allen to do a little work for us, namely to give a lecture in Robert's Biogeography class.  On Thursday at 9:40 in Room 401 Burchfiel, Charles will reprise a lecture he recently gave at the Mountain Lake Biological Station, on Appalachian Fire History.  If this sounds familiar to you, it should -- Charles' principal collaborator in this project has been our own Henri Grissino-Mayer, and I'm also involved in some of the work.  There is room for a half dozen interested graduate and undergraduate students to join the Biogeography class for Charles' lecture on Thursday morning.

Faculty, undergrads, or graduate students who would like an individual meeting with Dr. Lafon should contact me, Sally Horn.  These can be arranged between 11 and 12, or between 1:30 and 2:45 pm, on Thursday.

Another opportunity for interaction would be enroute to the airport on Friday.  Let me know if anyone would like to give him a ride to the airport.  He needs to be picked up from his hotel (Four Points/Cumberland House) about 9:00 a.m to arrive at the airport by about 9:30.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Sally, Robert, Paulo, and Maegen

Sally P. Horn, Professor