From: Rochner, Maegen L (Maegen Rochner) <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Subject: Geography Outreach Opportunity
To: GeogGrads <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "Butefish, Kurt L" <[log in to unmask]>, "Hazelton, Michael David" <
[log in to unmask]>, "Camponovo, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,

This month (November, yes, it starts tomorrow!), the MUSE Knoxville (see
link) will be hosting "Saturday Science - Around the World." Last year, I
volunteered for one Saturday morning and had a great time talking to
children and their parents about tree rings! For this event, Club Geography
and GeoGrads will be working together to develop hands-on activities for
children ages 3-9. Last year we had a floor map, some blow-up globes, and
tree samples, and in addition to the children, we got many parents involved
and interested in what we do in Geography!

We are looking for at least 1-2 graduate students to assist Club Geography
on each of the four Saturdays in November (11/5, 11/12, 11/19, and 11/26).
The most important day however is 11/5 (this weekend) as Club Geography
will not be able to attend. For this date, we need 3-4 graduate students to
volunteer (I currently have at least 2 volunteers for 11/5 but need some
for the other Saturdays).

If you would like to go ahead and volunteer for a date, please let me know!
This is a super fun and easy event to prep for (and it can go on your CV!).

I also appreciate any ideas that you might have for activities. Due to a
teaching conflict (I teach Saturday mornings at South College through
December), I will not be able to attend this year, but I hope to help
organize as much as I can. The main issue is that if we plan on having a
tree-ring exhibit, we will need some at least amateur tree-ring people to
help (mainly for parent questions). On the other hand, we welcome ideas for
activities in the other realms of geography (but remember, we are talking
3-9 year olds, okay?).

Please let me know if you would like to sign up for a date, and mark your
calendars!

Best,

*Maegen Rochner, M.S. *
Graduate Teaching Associate