As most of you are aware, the University of Tennessee follows the Chicago Manual of Style for university publications and websites, and AP Style for news releases, media advisories, and other communications sent directly to news media professionals.

By and large Chicago style serves us well, but there are a few points that frequently feel stiff, outdated, or just inappropriate for the types of publications and audiences we work with most often. We maintain a list of these university style exceptions here: http://brand.utk.edu/editorial/university-style/.

The editorial staff in the Office of Communications have recommended some new additions to our university style that diverge from Chicago style. I invite your feedback on these changes, either here on CampComm or directly to me if you prefer.

The proposed changes:

·         Numbers: Chicago’s general rule requires spelling out whole numbers from zero through one hundred in most contexts. Instead, we recommend the alternative rule found in section 9.3 of the current edition. It generally spells out only single-digit numbers (that is, zero through nine) and uses numerals for the rest. We would continue to use only numerals for time (3:30 p.m.), percentages (5 percent) and credit hours (a 3-hour lab course).

·         Time: Chicago specifies adding zeroes for even hours (4:00 p.m.). We recommend expressing even hours without the zeroes (4 p.m.). In running text, the designations a.m. and p.m. would be lowercase with periods. For display text or in informal contexts, they may appear without periods (2 pm).

·         Tech terms: Instead of the standard forms in Chicago’s preferred dictionary (Webster’s Third New International Dictionary or its abridged edition Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary), we recommend the alternate spelling email (instead of e-mail), and we recommend lowercasing internet.

I would like to have all feedback submitted by Wednesday, September 14, so that it can inform our decision. I will post a message to CampComm afterwards indicating which, if any, changes will be implemented.

Thank you for your feedback.

Erik

ERIK BLEDSOE, PhD

Director, Creative Communications