Dear Geography Community,

The U.S. National Park Service turns 100 this year!  What a great way to celebrate the NPS by taking GEOG 200: Environmental Issues in National Parks this fall.  I am very excited to have the opportunity to teach this wonderful course!

GEOG 200: Environmental Issues in National Parks fulfills a General Education requirement for a Natural Science Non-Lab course or the Global Challenges requirement within the College of Arts & Sciences  An overview of the course outcomes are as follows:

The course will start with a history of the NPS to provide context, and then develop a knowledge base of the physical and biological processes that make the parks unique, and ultimately explore environmental issues created from the human and environmental interactions within the parks and other protected areas. We will explore specific national parks from a case study approach to understand environmental issues such as invasive species, biodiversity conservation, water resources issues, land use, air pollution, and climate change.

GEOG 200 is an inquiry based course where students will design a scientific project exploring human impacts on local protected areas. The students will collect and analyze data, and present their findings to their peers to gain an understanding of scientific inquiry.

Please pass on this information and the attached flier to all interested students, and let me know if you have any questions!

Melissa Hinten, PhD
Department of Geography
207 Burchfiel Geography Bldg.
University of Tennessee