There’s been a couple of reports in higher ed news outlets about a new book, Improving Quality in American Higher Education, that discusses the development of “concepts and competencies” for six disciplines, biology, business, communications, economics, history, and sociology. This is a report on a faculty-driven project to actually identify the concepts and competencies for these disciplines and offers guidance on faculty perspectives for articulating high-quality learning goals and rigorous measures of student progress. Here are two links about the book’s release –

The Chronical of Higher Education - http://chronicle.com/article/What-Should-a-Major-Teach-/236694?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en&elqTrackId=6c0a1226f99741c9b083cc197e2e3f6d&elq=ac20ed689a13415484792003c1b54db5&elqaid=9298&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=3260 (this should be an open-access story; no login needed)

Inside Higher Education - https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/05/31/academically-adrifts-authors-faculty-project-define-learning-outcomes-six-fields

If you’re interested in obtaining a copy of the book, here’s a link to the publisher’s page - http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1119268508.html

Just thought you may want to see some of the conversation surrounding assessment.

[log in to unmask]" alt="http://images.utk.edu/images/interface/ut-emailsignature.gif">

Mary Lewnes Albrecht, PhD

Associate Vice Provost for Accreditation

527 Andy Holt Tower

Knoxville, TN 37996

Voice: 865-974-3635

Email: [log in to unmask]

Office: http://sacs.utk.edu

Faculty: http://plantsciences.utk.edu/albrecht.htm

“Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education . . . The human mind is our fundamental resource.” John F. Kennedy