Dear Ranavirus Community,

I wanted to share with you the sad news that Rick Speare from James Cook University died in a car accident this weekend. As you know, Rick was an early contributor to work on ranaviruses, helped with the discovery and description of chytridiomycosis, and worked tirelessly on public health in Australia and globally. Many of us had a chance to get to know Rick at the 2nd International Symposium on Ranaviruses in Knoxville where he gave the keynote. I will always remember him from a lunch we had together when I was a graduate student at a herp meeting, where I was struck by his insights, humor, and deep drive to work for the broader good.

Here's a small excerpt from the JCU email:

Rick’s life has been an extraordinary one. He has made an incredible contribution to James Cook University and the community - in Australia, the Pacific and beyond - as a medical practitioner, veterinary surgeon, public health physician, teacher and researcher. He made a seminal contribution to the development of tropical health and medicine as a concept at JCU. Rick was an exceptionally generous human being of great intellect, warmth and humour.

Rick Speare will be missed by the many people whose lives he touched. You are welcome to send condolences and any messages to honour his memory to: [log in to unmask].

I am sure I speak for our small community in extending my condolences and wishes to his family, friends, and close colleagues.

Jesse

Jesse Brunner
Associate Director of the Global Ranavirus Consortium
Assistant Professor
School of Biological Sciences
Washington State University
PO Box 644236