Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

From: Hamilton, Susan Lynne (Sue)
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 10:14 AM
To: McCall, Wanda F <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Karen Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Master Gardener Teaching Youth Volunteer Opportunity

Wanda, can you please share this email with Master Gardeners in Knox County and the surrounding counties. Many thanks, Sue

Hello Master Gardeners, I’ve been contacted by an avid gardener who is a teacher at Fulton High School and who has initiated and overseen the development of an incredible garden and landscape throughout Fulton’s campus. Please see below her email to me in hopes of recruiting many of you to come and help teach and supervise the planned ‘gardening day’ with sophomore students. The attached photos will give you a good idea of the incredible gardens she has created at Fulton to inspire students about plants and their value and encourage consideration of an environmental science related career. This is a great opportunity to cultivate the next generation of gardeners and support our schools and a passionate teacher and gardener who needs help inspiring and teaching her students. Thanks for your consideration, Sue

Susan L. Hamilton, Ed.D

Director, UT Gardens

Assoc. Professor of Horticulture

Mail: 252 Ellington Plant Sciences Bldg.

2431 Joe Johnson Dr.

Knoxville, TN, 37996

Office Location: 106 Environmental Landscape Laboratory

(865) 974-7972 Office

[log in to unmask] | utgardens.tennessee.edu/

[log in to unmask]" alt="https://ag.tennessee.edu/marketing/EmailLogos/ut-gardens_4c.jpg">

               Plants. People. Passion.

Hello Sue,

The Fulton High School annual Sophomore Contribution Day is Friday, May 13 from 8:45-1:00.  The sophomore class is split up into small groups, and each group has an assigned duty.  I will be in charge of about 20 kids who are assigned to the garden.

The students assigned to me will need to move mulch from a big pile and put it on the black plastic that is a perimeter around our community garden. I will also have kids put some mulch in our garden, but they will need to be highly supervised because I don't want them dropping it on top of our plants.  Others students will be planting flowers that will be donated.  They will need to be monitored and shown how to properly plant.  Other students will need to do some weeding and will need to be shown because they won't know for sure which is a weed and which is a desired plant. I mainly need help with supervision and for kids to be taught how to correctly garden. Our kids work a lot better in smaller groups which are supervised.

I've attached a few photos.  I’ve put a lot of my own time into making the garden what it is and I have a lot of pride for the place.  It's incredible. Photos 4625 & 4642, 4686 may get more flowers planted and is an area that may need a little weeding.  Photos 4684 and 4685 shows the vegetable garden and all the black plastic that will be covered up with mulch.  I've added herbs to this area, and I'd like to add some native pollinating flowers to this area.  Photos 4690 and 4691 are the main entrance to the school.  I'd like to add some more flowers to this area but it's on the other side from where I'll be, so an adult would definitely need to be helping and directing on that side of the school.

I really appreciate you notifying the Master Gardeners about this opportunity to help teach young people about gardening and how plants can enhance our school environment.

Karen Wilkinson, Fulton High School Math Teacher

Email: [log in to unmask]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html