Registration is now available for the May Talking Freight Seminar.

Topic: Freight Coalitions

Date/Time: May 18, 2016 1:00 - 2:30 ET

Registration: http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/fpd/talking_freight/index.htm

Description: In recent years more and more state DOTs, MPOs, and other government agencies have either started or increased their freight transportation planning initiatives.  As these freight transportation planning efforts have intensified, many state DOTs, MPOs, counties, and other agencies have realized freight planning efforts are often need to examine and consider needs beyond their jurisdictional boundaries.  In many cases, particularly along major interstate or interregional freight corridors, bordering or nearby states and metropolitan areas are facing similar freight transportation issues related to their common location along a corridor or corridors.  The realization freight needs outside their jurisdictions often impact freight transportation flows within their jurisdictions has encouraged many state DOTs, MPOs, and other transportation-focused organizations to work together to address their mutual issues.  By examining freight transportation needs at a macro scale and coordinating staff and financial resources when appropriate, the jurisdictions that participate in freight coalitions can implement more significant transportation improvements than they could working alone.

This webinar will discuss the benefits, opportunities, issues, and challenges associated with creating and maintaining freight coalitions.  It will also examine how freight coalitions can benefit individual member organizations in ways that are unavailable to organizations that do not participate in multi-state or multi-region coalitions.

Topics and Presenters:

Long-Established Coalition Perspective (I-95 Corridor Coalition)
This presentation will review the activities, achievements, and lessons learned by a long-established freight coalition, the I-95 Corridor Coalition.
SPEAKER:

  *   Marygrace Parker, I-95 Corridor Coalition

Newer Freight Coalition Perspective (I-81 Corridor Coalition)
This presentation will discuss the factors behind the formation of a newer freight coalition, the I-81 Corridor Coalition, its initial benefits and challenges, and more recent activities as the coalition has evolved and matured.
SPEAKER:

  *   Kevin Cole, I-81 Corridor Coalition

State DOT Perspective on Freight Coalition Membership
This presentation will talk about the benefits of participating in multi-state freight coalitions from a state DOT perspective.
SPEAKER:

  *   Cheryl Ball, Missouri DOT

If you have not yet participated in Talking Freight, I encourage you to do so. These monthly seminars, sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration, are held via web conference, which means that you view the PowerPoint presentations over the Internet while listening to the presenters over your computer or the telephone. There is no cost involved and you do not have to leave your desk to participate. More information about Talking Freight is available at http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/fpd/talking_freight/index.htm  Links to past presentations and recordings are available on http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/freightplanning/talking.htm.

Talking Freight seminars are eligible for 1.5 AICP Certification Maintenance Credits (for AICP members). In order to receive credit, you must attend the full seminar and login to the seminar with your full name or type your full name into the chat area during the seminar if you are in a room with a group of people. Visit the AICP web site<http://wwwcf.fhwa.dot.gov/exit.cfm?link=http://www.planning.org/cm/> for more information about AICP Certification Maintenance Credits.

If you have any questions about the webinar content, please contact Chip Millard, FHWA Freight Office, at 202-366-4415 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  If you have any questions about the technology aspects of the webinar, please contact Nicole Coene, Leidos, at 703-318-4267 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Nicole Coene  | Leidos
Task Manager | Transportation Solutions and Technology Applications Division
phone: 703.318.4267
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | leidos.com

[cid:[log in to unmask]]