Do you and your colleagues have students who would like to write about science, engineering, or health so that it can be understood and enjoyed by the general public?  If so, the School of Journalism & Electronic Media offers three courses:

        JREM 450: Writing about Science and Medicine
        JREM 451: Environmental Writing
        JREM 456: Science Writing as Literature

These courses have no prerequisites, can be taken for undergraduate or graduate credit, and fulfill the General Education requirement for writing-intensive courses.

A recent BCMB senior who took Environmental Writing wrote in her course evaluation:

        I happened across this course by way of a friend's recommendation.
        It would be great if this course could be advertised to other departments,
        especially the science-related ones.

If you think some of your students may be interested, would you please ask your faculty to distribute the attached announcement to your students and perhaps post it on your bulletin boards?

Here's a link that provides a little more information about these courses-- http://jem.cci.utk.edu/sciencecommunication. And, of course, I'd be happy to discuss the courses with your students or faculty.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mark Littmann

Mark Littmann, Ph.D.
Professor, Julia G. and Alfred G. Hill Chair of Excellence
  in Science, Technology, and Medical Writing
and
CCI Board of Visitors Professor
School of Journalism and Electronic Media
333 Communications Building
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0333
Telephone: 865-974-8156