All,

Just to ensure everyone knows what to do and where to head in case the NWS issues a tornado warning for the area – this has happened several times for us here in Burchfiel. First, make sure you are signed up for UT’s Alertus Desktop Alert and it’s installed on your laptop or desktop. We should all also be signed up to receive UT alerts via text messages on our smartphones. If you have questions about or need help with UT Alert, contact the Office of Emergency Management at 974-3061 or email [log in to unmask].

Second, if we are alerted that a tornado warning is in place for the campus, please calmly evacuate your classes, offices, and labs in an orderly manner without causing undue panic and stress! Please avoid the 2nd and 4th floors because no rapid evacuation routes exist here. Instead, we are to gather on the 1st and 3rd floors in the middle of the main hallways, away from glass and windows, and STAY THERE until we are issued the all clear alert. DO NOT LEAVE THE BUILDING.

If you have any questions about this process, please let me know. Yes, this is in line with our building’s Emergency Action Plan. Yes, we actually have one.

Dr. Henri D. Grissino-Mayer

Professor of Geography and Associate Department Head

Department of Geography

1000 Philip Fulmer Way

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0925

865-974-6029

Google Scholar    LinkedIn    Academia.edu    Web Site    LTRS