From: Roach, Don
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 9:25 AM
To: NCFS.all <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Vacancy Listing

Let's try this again due to short notice on last posting,

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have reposted the FIA Forester 1 position based out of the Region 3 office.  This is short notice the closing date is 8:28 AM on Wednesday 10th.  The position is challenging yet fun and requires the forester to be in the field 85% or more of his/her time.  The Asheville FIA crew is responsible for Forest Inventory data and Felled Tree survey data measurements in approximately 25 western counties of North Carolina.  You will also have a chance to see most of the State while working with the other crews as needed.  This is posted externally so if you know anyone interested in the position please pass the job advertisement along.

The Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, conducts research to improve the understanding of the State's forest ecosystem. Government and private agencies utilize this data to monitor forest resources, forest use and forest health. The collection of data is done on private and public land.  FIA reports on  status and trends in forest area and location; in the species, size, and health of trees; in total tree growth, mortality, and removals by harvest;  in wood production and utilization rates by various products; and in forest land ownership.

Regardless of the natural resource issue, managers and decision-makers will always need accurate and timely assessments of the resources involved. These assessments must use credible and cost-efficient survey techniques, predict future conditions, monitor actual trends or changes, and distribute data into political, economic, and ecological systems. Measurement of forest resources has always been important to our customers and has often stimulated new avenues of research. Inventory information has been the source of feedback on policy, management, and changes in forest health across ownerships. Inventory results have been useful for economic development and forest planning decisions as well as analyses of timber supply, biodiversity, and risk both at landscape and regional levels. Customers for these assessments include State foresters, forest industry, forestry consultants, conservation groups, national forests, and universities.

Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) continues to provide the only national source of comprehensive strategic inventory information on the extent, condition, and use of all forested lands in the Nation. Data from our staff is the basis for all national  and State inventory data bases.

I welcome any questions that you may have on this position and encourage all those interested to apply.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/jobs/1281383/forester-i

Don F. Roach II
Forest Inventory and Analysis Coordinator
North Carolina Forest Service
NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
512 N. Salisbury Street
1616 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1600
(919) 857-4851, Office
(919) 857-4805, Fax
(864) 415-6331, Cell

***My email address has changed to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Please update your records.***