Dear Geography undergraduate and graduate students, (copied to the faculty)

On Thursday, February 25th, we have the honor of hosting Dr. Mike Mayfield, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education at Appalachian State University, as the 2016 Distinguished Alumnus of the Geography Department. Dr. Mayfield received his  Master’s and doctoral degrees in geography from UT in 1980 and 1984, respectively. Dr. Mayfield has been a member of the faculty at Appalachian since 1988. He served as faculty coordinator of General Education at Appalachian from 2007-10, was chair of the Department of Geography and Planning from 1998-2002 and interim department chair in spring 1996. He was a visiting scientist at the CATIE Research Institute in Costa Rica in spring 1995, and has led study abroad and field trips to Costa Rica, Ecuador and Peru.

Dr. Mayfield’s schedule for February 25th is as follows:

1:30 pm — 2:30 pm: open meeting with faculty, undergraduate and graduate students.
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm: meeting Henri Grissino-Mayer
3:15 pm: walk to the Hodges library.
3:30 — 4:00 pm: reception in front of the Hodges library’s Auditorium (second floor)
4:00 pm — 4:50 pm: 2016 Geography Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony (Hodges library’s Auditorium — second floor)

We strongly encourage our undergraduate and graduate students to attend both the open meeting, and the award ceremony.  As this is a very ceremonial event to honor our distinguished alumni (e.g., Dean Lee and many distinguished guests will attend the event), please observe the semi-formal dress code.

Thank you, all! Hope to see you on February 25th!

On behalf of Dr. Derek Alderman, Department Head
Madhuri Sharma & Liem Tran, Special Events Committee
Liem Tran, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Geography Department
Adjunct Associate Professor,
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Tennessee a Knoxville
Tel: 865-974-6034; Fax: 865-974-6025