Dear Undergraduates and Graduates,

1. This is a nice scholarship opportunity for ecology oriented undergrad/graduates!! PlushBeds Scholarships Director As in the past, we are offering a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to astudent seeking an eco-degree (any degree that is ecologically related). Further details of the scholarship and instructions for submissions can be found upon the PlushBeds website at: http://www.plushbeds.com/PlushBeds-Green-Scholarships/how-to-solve-problem-disappearing-honey-bees-scholarship/.Please let me know if you have any questions! Thank You: Rochelle Livingston, PlushBeds Scholarships Director [log in to unmask] Deadline is August 15, 2016 for Fall Semester 2016 and Dec 15, 2016 for Spring 2017.

2. Also, the Udall Undergraduate Scholarships are due March 16, 2016, you can get up to $7K as a Fellow: http://www.udall.gov/ourPrograms/scholarship/scholarship.aspx

3. Kurt Butefish sent this out, but as a reminder February 5, 2016 is the Deadline for the L’Oreal-UNESCO for Women in Science Program for those women who have received their PhDs by 12/31/2015 (Joanne Ballard, Nancy Lu)

4. Also the Deadline is April 11, 2016 for applications to the The U.S. Borlaug Fellows in Global Food Security graduate research grants are intended to support students interested in developing a component of their graduate research in a single, developing country setting by supporting the student’s work in-residence at an International Agricultural Research Center (IARC), or a qualifying National Agricultural Research System (NARS) unit. Candidates are particularly encouraged to conduct research in Feed the Future focus countries (www.feedthefuture.gov). At a minimum, research must be carried out in countries supported by a USAID mission. Note, all research centers of the CGIAR consortium are eligible partners.

I collaborate with 3 CGIAR’s: CIAT (Center for Tropical Agricultural Research, Cali, Colombia),  ICARDA (Int. Center for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas, Aman, Jordan), and ILRI (International Livestock Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya & Addis Abba, Ethiopia). With both ICARDA and CIAT the research concerns the use of Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Crop Phenotyping. We, the Dept. of Geography, UTK and Texas A&M University, are pioneers in this frontier research area of agriculture. I have had 2 students and have 1 [2 at CIAT and 1 at CIMMYT (Maize Institute, Obregon,MX)]  student working with me on this grant that provides funding for 6-months ($15K), one year ($20K) and 2-year ($40K) supplements to research in a host country. CIAT would like to use Remote Sensing to look at the sustainability of the plains grasslands (Llanos). Let me know if you are interested in pursuing this and we can set up a study with my collaboraors.

5. Also for our International graduate student women, the deadline is November 13, 2016 for the  Schlumberger Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships for Women. I have had one PhD student recieve this grant while at Texas A&M and it is for $50K per year. It also is a $40K per year for post doctoral programs.

The top 10 list of International Scholarships for women is here: http://www.scholars4dev.com/15173/international-scholarships-for-women/

6. Finally, for those future or present graduate students we (UTK) have a call from NIMBioS: The National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS) invites current UTK/UTIA graduate students working at the interface between mathematics and biology to apply for graduate research assistantships with the Institute. In addition to carrying out their research as specified in their proposal, graduate research assistants (GRAs) will be expected to assist with NIMBioS activities, including providing computational support (including assisting with model development, analysis and coding) for NIMBioS participants, assisting in Working Group and Workshop activities, and/or collaborating with postdocs and NIMBioS faculty and students.Appointments are for one year. Current GRAs may apply for a second year of support. The deadline for applications for NIMBioS Graduate Assistantships is February 15, 2016 for assistantships beginning in August of each year. Award announcements are made in March. NIMBioS brings together researchers from around the world to collaborate across disciplinary boundaries to investigate solutions to basic and applied problems in the life sciences. NIMBioS is sponsored by the National Science Foundation with additional support from The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. More details and how to apply are posted at http://www.nimbios.org/assistantships/

We (Geography) have been developing a cohort of students who are at home in “Big Data” analyses and should consider this GRA.

Good Luck and Kindest regards,

Robert A. Washington-Allen
Assistant Professor of Geography
Environmental Tomography Laboratory
Department of Geography
University of Tennessee
304 Burchfiel Geography Building
1000 Phillip Fulmer Way
Knoxville, TN 37996-0925
Cell: 979-571-4330
e-mail: washingtonra@utk.edu
website: http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-robert-washington-allen/
"God has chosen the world that is the most perfect,that is to say, the one that is at the same time the simplest in hypotheses and the richest in phenomena."
— Leibniz

"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."
--- Isaac Newton

Kindest regards,

As in the past, we are offering a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to a
student seeking an eco-degree (any degree that is ecologically related).

Further details of the scholarship and instructions for submissions can be
found upon the PlushBeds website at:

http://www.plushbeds.com/PlushBeds-Green-Scholarships/how-to-solve-problem-disappearing-honey-bees-scholarship/.

Thank You,

Rochelle Livingston, PlushBeds Scholarships Director

Leslie E. Ruyle, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Scientist
Academic Program Manager
Network Coordinator
Center on Conflict & Development | Texas A&M University
MS 2124| 408F Agriculture and Life Sciences Building
http://condevcenter.org