In HIST 380/AFST 380 “The African American Experience from the Civil War to the Present,” there emphasis will be placed on African American Education and we’re planning an oral history project related to the historically black Knoxville College (in collaboration with Professor Emerita Dr. Cynthia Griggs Fleming, a historian and one of the first black faculty members in the College of Arts and Sciences at UT). We will be reading The Education of Blacks in the South by James D. Anderson and Courage to Dissent: Atlanta and the Long History of the Civil Rights Movement by Tomiko Brown-Nagin.