To geography majors:

I would like to let you know about an opportunity to take a graduate course in Population Geography (GEOG 545) in Spring 2016. Classes will be held on Wednesdays from 5:05-7:45 pm, and I will be the instructor.

If you have an interest in contemporary population issues, this is an excellent opportunity for you. The course is open to motivated undergraduate students. If you have taken an undergraduate course in Population Geography (GEOG 344) or Population and Environment (GEOG 345), the graduate course would enable you to learn more in-depth about population issues. You do not need to have taken a prior course in Population Geography to take the graduate course.

GEOG 545 will count as a Human Geography course for your Geography major (I will help with the petition), or it can count for 3 hours toward the major in the "9 additional hours" category at the end of your DARS report.

I would be happy to meet with you to discuss the content of the course and to explain how the course would satisfy a requirement for the Geography major.

This is the GEOG 545 course description:

Population issues affect us all, and changes in population size and distribution can have major consequences. Some countries try to curb population growth while others are struggling to provide for aging citizens when they are experiencing declining fertility rates. In addition, the number of international migrants is increasing worldwide. The intake of immigrants, especially of low skilled migrants and refugees, can elicit negative sentiments in host societies. These population issues affect economic and political decision-making and they can contribute to social upheaval and change. In this course we will explore fertility, mortality and migration in the United States and other parts of the world. This comparative perspective will allow us to better understand factors that shape population dynamics.

Best wishes,

Dr. van Riemsdijk