My apologies for the premature send.  Please keep reading

****
Dear Geography faculty and students:

Thanks to everyone for their hard work in promoting and programming for Geography Awareness Week.  I have heard from several folks on campus who have noticed our efforts and applaud what they see and hear.

As part of Geography Awareness Week, we are honored to have Dr. Paul Robbins visit this week.  Please take advantage of the two opportunities to meet and hear from him.

1.      Today (Wed, Nov. 18, 3:30-4:30pm), Dr. Robbins will meet with faculty and students in the conference room (BGB 406) to talk about the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies, which he directs at Wisconsin-Madison.  Dr. Robbins will also talk about his work in political ecology, which has emerged over the past several years as an important sub-discipline in geography and the social and environmental sciences.

2.      Tomorrow (Thursday, 3:30-4:30pm), Dr. Robbins will give our Distinguished Lecture at the Hodges Library Auditorium.  A reception with food will start at 3:30pm and the talk will start close to 4pm.

I know that everyone is busy but do all that you can to attend.  It would be great to have a good group in attendance at today's conversation with Dr. Robbins. This is partly an issue of not wanting to miss an opportunity to learn from and talk with one of Geography's top scholars, but it is also a matter of ensuring that we give a good impression of our Department's level of commitment and engagement.

I appreciate your time.

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head, Department of Geography
Betty Lynn Hendrickson Professor of Social Science
University of Tennessee
304C Burchfiel Geography Building
Knoxville, TN 37996-0925
Voice: (865) 974-0406