Dear Colleagues,

Dr. Uriel Kitron who is the Goodrich C. White Professor and Chair of the Department of Environmental Sciences, Emory University will be our speaker this Thursday.

[cid:D868A9C9-B408-443E-AAC0-0D120056F1F9]

Abstract:

Remotely sensed data coupled with data collected on the ground can be used to study highly localized transmission patterns and eco-epidemiology of disease. Earth satellites have enhanced the use of proxy environmental and meteorological data for studies and predictions of infectious disease transmission, especially for vector-borne diseases (such as malaria, dengue, Lyme disease, West Nile virus and many others) and snail-borne diseases, such as schistosomiasis, where characteristics of the vector, host and environment translate into highly localized transmission patterns. I will present two examples, schistosomiasis, (malaria and dengue) in Kenya, and West Nile virus in the U.S., and try to provide insight into the following questions:
- What are the impacts environmental and climate changes and variation on vector and reservoir populations, and on exposure? Are these relationships universal, and if not, how do they vary locally?
- How can we address heterogeneity of scale-in both time and space-of these impacts?
- Can environmental and climate changes be used to forecast changes in vector and host populations and the risk of outbreaks or spread of disease?
- How do we apply environmental/climate data and models to the study of transmission and disease management?

Biography:

Dr.  Uriel Kitron, Goodrich C. White Professor and Chair, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Emory University

Education

* B.Sc., Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel

* Ph.D. Degree, University of California, Santa Barbara

* M.P.H., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

My research and teaching programs center around the eco-epidemiology of infectious diseases, with an emphasis on tropical and emerging diseases and environmental risk factors. In our global health research we emphasize anthropogenic changes, including issues of climate, urbanization, agricultural practices and conservation. For diseases such as Dengue, Malaria, Schistosomiasis, West Nile virus in Atlanta and in Chicago, and Chagas disease, our group studies the transmission dynamics and ecology of the insect vectors and the mammalian and avian reservoir hosts, incorporating a strong field component (trapping vertebrates, collecting insects, identifying environmental features), spatial analysis, and laboratory work. In our lab, we apply tools such as geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing to gather and manage environmental data that can explain the spatial distribution of disease and vectors, and assess risk of transmission. Following quantitative spatial analysis, maps and models can then be produced to target further research efforts, as well as in support of surveillance and control efforts by public health agencies. Current research efforts funded by NIH, NSF and CDC include large-scale collaborative international studies of arboviruses and malaria in Kenya, dengue in Brazil, Peru and Australia, and of West Nile virus and eco-epidemiology of disease emergence in urban areas in the U.S. Teaching interests include Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, Spatial Epidemiology and Ecological Parasitology. Training of a diverse group of undergraduates, graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers in the U.S. and globally is a major theme of all of our research projects. As part of our training program we also conduct GIS workshops for researchers, public health practitioners and students. Interest in application and communication of scientific information is manifested in our collaborations with Local, State, National and International Public Health Agencies.