The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
College of Education, Health & Human Sciences
Enhancing Quality of Life through Research, Outreach, and Practice
Accolades Online Clickable Arrow

335 Claxton Complex

As I begin my twelfth year as dean of the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences, I think back to my very first day on the job. It was July 1, 2004, that I first entered my office in 335 Claxton to embark on an incredible journey.

And the journey continues! Professionals working in academia believe that deans do what they do for four to five years and, if successful, then move on to become provosts, chancellors, or presidents. A beloved and respected colleague once asked me why I choose to stay at the University of Tennessee and not pursue these other, loftier positions. My response was quick and simple - the place, the work, and most importantly, the people.

This response was never truer than it is today. As I tell our wonderful faculty and staff, we have the opportunity to do the most important work in society.

Everything we do in the college helps the people we work for and with to live their lives better, further validating our college motto: "Enhancing quality of life through research, outreach, and practice."

Speaking of the most important work in society, the articles and stories contained in this issue of Accolades are undeniably some of the most compelling ever gathered in this magazine. You'll read and learn about the important research being conducted in several departments on the topic of childhood obesity. You'll receive an update about the incredible work being conducted through our Center for Sport, Peace, and Society, now in its fifth-year of operation and working on its third multi-million dollar grant from the US Department of State.

As you will see, our college, through the committed collaboration of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, the Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling, and the Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies, continues to provide opportunities for at-risk, high school students in East Knoxville to learn what it means to attend college with the Project GRAD Summer Institute.  The project just completed its eleventh year of operation and as a result, significantly higher numbers of students from Austin-East and Fulton high schools are pursuing postsecondary educational opportunities.

These are but a few of the interesting stories you will read in this issue of Accolades. As I believe you know, our students, faculty, and staff continue to create the wonderful stories we have told in the past and will continue to do so for the future. Accolades is available online, in a mobile-friendly version on ISSUU and also in hard-copy-- just choose the one that works best for you!

The only way we are able to carry on this purposeful work is through the support of all of you - our dedicated alumni, friends, faculty, staff and of course, our students. Many thanks to you all for your continued support and advocacy.

Best Regards,

Bob Rider, Dean

Gift Icon Contribute to Big Ideas
Make a gift to the College of Education,
Health & Human Sciences
Clickable Arrow

College of Education, Health & Human Sciences
335 Claxton Complex   ·   1122 Volunteer Boulevard
Knoxville, TN 37996-3400   ·   (865) 974-2201
[log in to unmask]   ·   cehhs.utk.edu

Facebook     LinkedIn     Twitter     Instagram

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

click here to remove yourself from future mailings.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html