Good morning colleagues,

I hope this email finds you well. I am contacting you on behalf of the Office of Multicultural Student Life’s Diversity Dialogue Symposium Planning Committee. The focus of this one-day symposium is to provide a meaningful out-of-class experience and foster a campus environment where students are free to discuss cultural differences. As a result of participation in the Diversity Dialogue Symposium, participants will:

·          Be able to communicate more effectively with individuals from different backgrounds;

·          Gain a greater awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity;

·          Develop the skills to identify and confront prejudices and discrimination;

·          Enhance the campus environment and make a positive difference for all members of the university community.

This year’s symposium theme is “Social Justice, Equity, and Access” and will be held on Friday, October 23rd from 10:00 AM to 3:30 PM at the Baker Center. Dr. Bridget Turner Kelly, Associate Professor in Higher Education at Loyola University Chicago as our keynote speaker. Her area of expertise is focused on intergroup dialogue, multicultural competence, and underrepresented populations in higher education. Dr. Kelly is also an alumna of the University of Tennessee earning a B.S. degree in public relations/journalism. This event will also include various workshop sessions facilitated by faculty, staff, and graduate students across campus.

Given that the collective mission of our campus to contribute to excellence in undergraduate education and create a welcoming environment where people are open to learning, I hope that you will encourage students in your courses to participate in the Diversity Dialogue Symposium this year by adding the event to your syllabus or providing extra credit points to students who attend.

We would appreciate any support that you could provide as a way to encourage student attendance at this event. Thank you very much in advance for your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

Office of Multicultural Student Life’s Diversity Dialogue Symposium Planning Committee

Respectfully,

Dametraus

Dametraus L. Jaggers

Associate Director for Retention and Student Engagement

Multicultural Student Life

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Frieson Black Cultural Center

1800 Melrose Avenue

Knoxville, TN 37996-4200

Phone: 865-974-1871

Fax: 865-974-0888

http://multicultural.utk.edu

Office of Multicultural Student Life - HorizLeftLogo