From: CUPA-HR [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:10 AM
To: CUPA-HR
Subject: Important Survey on Proposed Overtime Regs - Respond by August 5

Trouble viewing this email? View the online version<http://www.cupahr.org/emails/2015-07-22-FLSA.html>

[http://www.cupahr.org/emails/images/2013-cupahr/container-top.gif]

[header img]

Dear CUPA-HR Members,

We are reaching out to you about to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Wage and Hour Division’s June 30 announcement proposing changes to the regulations governing overtime pay requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). DOL published the proposed rule<http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pagedetails.action?granuleId=2015-15464&packageId=FR-2015-07-06&acCode=FR> in the Federal Register on July 6 with a 60-day comment period ending September 4. CUPA-HR will file comments and has asked DOL to consider extending the deadline for comments an additional 60 days (the request for extension can be found here<http://protectingopportunity.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Partnership-Request-for-Extension.pdf>) so that we have more time to gather information from our members about the potential impact of the proposal.

Basics of the Proposed Rule
The proposed rule would set a new minimum salary level, more than double the current level, at the 40th percentile of weekly earnings for full time salaried workers, which based on 2013 data is $921 a week ($47,892 annually). DOL has proposed automatically escalating this minimum salary on an annual basis by pegging it to the 40th percentile (DOL estimates will be $50,440 for 2016) or by indexing the $921 number to CPI-U. DOL proposes publishing the increased minimum salary 60 days before it becomes effective. DOL is also considering whether to allow nondiscretionary bonuses, such as certain production or performance bonuses, to satisfy a portion of the standard salary test requirement. Such bonuses include, for example, nondiscretionary incentive bonuses tied to productivity and profitability. DOL did not offer a specific proposal to modify the standard duties tests; however, the department is seeking comment on whether the standard duties tests are working as intended to screen out employees who are not bona fide white-collar exempt employees.

We Need Your Help!
As the CUPA-HR Policy Committee sets out to draft comments in response to DOL’s proposal, we would like to incorporate information from you in order to provide higher ed-specific feedback to DOL on the likely effects the proposed rulemaking will have.

We would like any information from members that includes economic analysis on the rule and any general issues that members anticipate arising due to the proposed changes. We have set up a specific e-mail address, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, where we would like members to submit their feedback. We also ask that you fill out this survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZGG2BYG> (10-20 minutes) with more pointed questions to the proposed changes.

[Take the Survey]<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZGG2BYG>

In order for the committee to have sufficient time in formulating comments, please complete the survey and submit all feedback by August 5.

The information we receive from the survey and any submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> will be used to shape and guide the comments we will provide DOL. Please know that any and all information submitted by members will remain confidential in the final comments and that no institutional names will be referenced.

We thank you for your time and your constructive feedback on this critical issue.

Kind Regards,
CUPA-HR Government Relations Team

[http://www.cupahr.org/emails/images/2013-cupahr/footer-devider.gif]

[facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/cupahr>[twitter]<http://www.twitter.com/cupahr>[LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=763687>

[http://www.cupahr.org/emails/images/2013-cupahr/container-bottom.gif]

College and University Professional Association for Human Resources
©2015 CUPA-HR | 1811 Commons Point Drive | Knoxville, Tn 37932 | (877) 287-2474
contact us<http://www.cupahr.org/about/contact.aspx> | website<http://www.cupahr.org/> | privacy guidelines<http://www.cupahr.org/about/privacy.aspx> | update profile<http://portal.cupahr.org/members/MemberSite/ContactManagement/ContactLayouts/my_profile.aspx> | unsubscribe<http://www.cupahr.org/email_unsubscribe.aspx>