PLEASE DO NOT HIT REPLY.  Visit http://researchtalk.com/qrsi-2015/ or email [log in to unmask] for details and registration info, or for inquiries about the Summer Intensive.

Mark Vagle, author of Crafting Phenomenological Research (Left Coast Press, 2014), will be teaching two courses at the 12th annual Qualitative Research Summer Intensive:

July 27-28

Crafting Phenomenological Research: How Phenomena Can Take Shape in Various Contexts

Phenomenology is a way for qualitative researchers to look at what we usually look through. It means being profoundly present in our research encounters, to leave no stone unturned, to slow down in order to open up, to dwell with our surroundings, and to know that there is “never nothing going on.” Because the philosophical ideas that underpin phenomenology can be abstract and sometimes elusive, this course will communicate these topics as concretely as possible. That is, the course will provide techniques, tools, and strategies for cultivating a phenomenology. We will use examples, anecdotes, and exercises to work through and navigate the craft.

July 29

Learning from Lived Experience: How We Can Study the World as It Is Lived

This workshop will explore what “lived experience” means for qualitative researchers and how we can study the world as it is lived, not the world as it is measured, transformed, represented, correlated, and broken down. In paying close attention to lived experience, we are interested in the felt and sensed aspects of our and our participants’ experiences, as well as the contextual aspects in which these experiences are lived. How can we listen to and make sense of this significance and use it in our qualitative research?

We will identify lived experiences that we are interested in studying and use theoretical tools from phenomenological traditions to explore how we can open up, wonder about, and understand these experiences more deeply. We will treat theorizing as an active and generative process of exploration.

***Special offer: use the code Phenom10 to receive a 10% discount off of your full registration.

For more information, including a complete QRSI schedule with full course descriptions, instructor bios, pricing and a link for registration, please visit http://researchtalk.com/qrsi-2015/.