Dear Geographers:

It is my great pleasure to inform you that Dr. Micheline van Riemsdijk, Associate Professor of Geography, is a 2015 recipient of the Higher Education Distinguished Teaching Award from the National Council for Geographic Education. Dr. van Riemsdijk was chosen among nominations from across the United States.  The award is national recognition of her professional dedication and leadership,  teaching skills, and active development of innovative teaching materials and strategies.  Dr. van Riemsdijk and other award recipients will be recognized at a special ceremony during the National Conference on Geography Education on Saturday, August 8, 2015 at the JW Marriott Hotel in Washington, DC.  Many thanks to the faculty members and students within our Department and across UT who wrote letters in support of Dr. van Riemsdijk’s nomination.  It is worth noting that this the second year in the row that a UT Geography faculty member has received this prestigious award.  Dr. Ron Kalafsky was honored last year.

Best wishes,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Professor & Head