Hello Team Geography!

As many of you know, the Department of Geography has asked for portions of the second floor to be renovated to make additional office space and to better use the space we currently have in rooms 206 (GIS and computer lab) to 209 (Cartography Lab). We asked for this renovation to take place over the summer to ensure minimal disruption of our classroom teaching. As such, Facilities Service will begin the renovation on May 11th after the weekend graduation ceremony. We do not have any classes scheduled to use the 2nd floor this summer, but for those of you in the Burchfiel Building and for those of you teaching this summer on the 1st and 3rd floors, please be advised that you may encounter some demolition sounds and noise along with way. I talked to Facilities Services just now and they informed me that they have experience working around teaching rooms (as you would expect) and will try their best to ensure minimal disruption and noise.

For those of you currently using rooms 206 through 209 (especially the offices), I suggest that sometime before May 11th you relocate for the time being and remove your belongings, books, computers, etc. Facilities Services will of course do the moving of heavy furniture, but they can’t renovate if you have your research and teaching items and personal belongings in there! Please be sure to have these rooms ready for renovation by May 11th!

Thanks all!

Dr. Henri D. Grissino-Mayer

Professor of Geography

Associate Department Head

Department of Geography

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0925

865.974.6029

Web Site  Google Scholar  LinkedIn  Academia.edu