​My fellow geographers,

Thank you to everyone who attended our meeting today, it's great to see so many new faces! We have a few new exciting events coming up that we announced today.

The first one is the 2015 Hammond Lecture featuring the father of GIS himself, Dr. Michael Goodchild. Dr. Grissino-Mayer was gracious enough to set-up an undergrad only discussion with Dr. Goodchild. The discussion will be held in BGB 406 at 12 pm on Thursday, February 12, 2015. Lunch will be provided for up to 30 people and the discussion will last around an hour and a half. This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in GIS to gain valuable insight into what you can do with your skills! There is also a reception at 3 pm on the same day for Dr. Goodchild who will then give a presentation at 3:40 pm in the Hodges Auditorium. Definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to take advantage of meeting and hearing Dr. Goodchild!

Next event is a caving expedition near the Cumberland Gap. We are going to schedule this for Saturday, February 21, 2015. Luckily, even if it's cold outside, the cave stays a nice 55 degrees year round so no worries there. The cave is easy for beginners and there aren't any areas where you have to crawl or squeeze through.  It will most likely cost around $8 per person or even less if we get a big enough group to commit. Details pertaining to carpooling and the exact times  are still coming so stay tuned! As usual, any faculty and graduate students are welcome to join us on this expedition!

Our next meeting will be held sometime before the caving trip; the exact date and time I will announce later. Again, thank you all for our fantastic attendance today, I look forward to seeing what we can accomplish this semester!

Your President,

Michael Schilling