View in browser

Power T Logo

Impact

A weekly newsletter from the Office of Community Engagement & Outreach

Big Orange Big Ideas

As part of our data collection process while preparing our successful 2015 Community Engagement Classification application, we compiled a series of exemplary community-campus partnerships that best represent authentic, two-way relationships based on mutuality and reciprocity.

To do this, we called upon colleges and divisions across UT, Knoxville and the UT Institute of Agriculture campuses to send us their nominations. We used data about these exemplars throughout our application.

UT, Knoxville and the UT Institute of Agriculture sent us some of their best.  The result is our Top 50 Partnerships that Make a Difference. We will be celebrating these individual exemplars throughout 2015 with articles that highlight each partnership’s unique contribution to our community.  More>>

2015-16 Outreach Incentive Grants Launch Next Week

Please watch for full details in next week's issue of Impact .

Since 1993, photojournalism students in the University of Tennessee, Knoxville's School of Journalism and Electronic Media have taken pictures of what life looks like in the small town of LaFollette, Tennessee. Students have spent 36 hours each spring capturing photo stories to be publishedfor publication in the town's newspaper, LaFollette Press. Read more>>

The Journal of Public Scholarship in Higher Education is now accepting papers for the volume 5, 2015 publication. The Journal showcases new disciplinary knowledge and pedagogical practice generated when faculty engage with external communities. The publication aims to stimulate dialogue regarding how community engagement affects the nature and scope of faculty work and, in doing so, transforms disciplines and institutions. Deadline to submit papers is February 1, 2015. Read more >>

 Using a simple method called “story circles,”  a diverse group of poets from across the U.S. will co-create the 2015 Poetic Address to the Nation, to be performed and broadcast live on February 1, 2015.   Read more >>

New Funding Opportunities

For more information on the following opportunities, click here.

J.K. Kaplan Publishing Fund: Books about Public Issues
Applications due by March 1, 2015

Open Society Foundation: Civil Society Scholar Awards
Applications due by March 2, 2015

AFAR: Translational Research on Aging Fellowships
Letters of Intents due by March 3, 2015

HHS, CDC: Action Research on Teen Pregnancy Prevention for Young Males
Applications due by March 3, 2015

EPA Local Grants Program for Environmental Education
Applications due by March 6, 2015

Generous U Competition for Student Philanthropy
Applications due by March 13, 2015

American Psychological Foundation Visionary Grants
Applications due by April 1, 2015

Webinar: CURES Partnership Award Funding
Webinar January 30, 2015, 12-1 p.m. Register by January 29

LIMITED SUBMISSIONS

  • Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) in Engineering and Computer Science Supplements and Sites

  • Promoting Internationally Recognized Labor Rights in the Dominican Republic

CONTACT US
Office of Community Engagement & Outreach
1534 White Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37996-1529
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 865-974-8363